Seasonal Rail Mechanic
Our Rail Operations Department consist of four private two-story dome rail cars known as the "Wilderness Express". We operate on the Denali Star Route attached to the Alaska Railroad locomotives and passenger cars traveling 350 miles between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the summer season (May-September). Our goal is to provide our guests with a first-class service while they travel on their own scenic rail adventure through The Last Frontier. We are looking for hard-working, positive, and reliable applicants to join our team for the 2017 summer season!
The Wilderness Express operates during the summer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Seasonal Rail Mechanics are based either in Anchorage OR Fairbanks for the summer and they WORK THE NIGHT SHIFT. Throughout the summer they are responsible for performing preventative and routine maintenance on the rail cars to meet all safety regulations. This position will be assisting our Lead Mechanics with all aspects of rail car maintenance and may have the opportunity to work with a variety of equipment on-board. The responsibilities of the Seasonal Rail Mechanic are physically demanding and all applicants should be prepared to work in all weather conditions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities of the Seasonal Rail Mechanic include but are not limited to:
- Meet inbound train and communicate with Onboard Manager about mechanical issues.
- Conduct daily rail car inspections to meet all safety standards and regulations to ensure safety of all onboard guests and crew members.
- Perform routine maintenance tasks and complete proper maintenance records.
- Participate in cleaning and organization of maintenance facility.
- Comply with all company safety policies and standards.
- Assist Lead Mechanics with additional tasks as needed.
- May be required to assist Rail Support staff as needed.
Candidates for the Anchorage Seasonal Rail Mechanic position must meet the following criteria in order to be considered as an applicant:
- Be 18 years of age prior to beginning of season
- Be a U.S. citizen or show proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to work the NIGHT SHIFT throughout the FULL Season
- Able to lift a minimum of 70 lbs
- Employee will be required to provide and wear steel-toed work boots
- Required to provide basic hand tools.
- Preferred to have one year of maintenance and/or mechanical related experience.
- Able to work and complete tasks with minimal supervision.