Our Rail Operations Department consist of four private two-story dome rail cars known as the "Wilderness Express". We operate on the Denali Star Route attached to the Alaska Railroad locomotives and passenger cars traveling 350 miles between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the summer season (May-September). Our goal is to provide our guests with a first class service while they travel on their own scenic rail adventure through The Last Frontier. We are looking for hard-working, positive, and reliable applicants to join our team for the 2017 summer season!
Wilderness Express prides itself on providing our guests an exceptional dining experience in our onboard full service restaurant. The dining room is located on the main level of the rail car and seats up to 36 guests at a time. Each team is staffed with two dining servers who work quickly and efficiently to serve all of the guests onboard (sometimes up to 80 guests per meal). Servers are responsible for preparing, serving, and cleaning up the dining room throughout the day while maintaining strict attention to detail and excellent customer service. Did we mention that all of this takes place while moving on a train! This position is demanding however it provides one of the best "office views" that you will ever have!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities of the Dining Server include but are not limited to:
- Able to provide first class service during breakfast, lunch, and dinner for up to 240 guests throughout a 14 hour shift.
- Check inventory and supply levels according to manifested guest count.
- Capable of lifting a balancing full serving trays .
- Knowledgeable and familiar with all food and beverage menu items including modifications, substitutions, and potential allergens.
- Greet guests at each depot and provide speech about dining room operations/menu over the microphone.
- Organize and complete guest orders and accurately input into point of sale system.
- Accurately close all guests checks after each meals service (*note: we are a cashless train).
- Maintain a clean and sanitary dining room and kitchen environment throughout the day, while also completing weekly side work and end of the day cleaning assignments.
- Promote teamwork and positive relationships with crew members, railroad personnel, and Tour Directors that accompany their guests onboard.
- Assist with additional duties as needed.
Candidates for the Dining Server position must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- 21 years of age prior to beginning of season.
- Be a U.S. citizen or show proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to work a FULL season
- Be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Complete courses to obtain valid Anchorage Food Worker Card and Training for Alcohol Professionals Card (assistance provided by Wilderness Express).
- Able to complete 14 hour shifts spending a majority of time on your feet.
- Previous serving experience preferred.