Our Rail Operations Department consist of four private two-story dome rail cars known as the "Wilderness Express". We operate on the Denali Star Route attached to the Alaska Railroad locomotives and passenger cars traveling 350 miles between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the summer season (May-September). Our goal is to provide our guests with a first class service while they travel on their own scenic rail adventure through The Last Frontier. We are looking for hard-working, positive, and reliable applicants to join our team for the 2017 summer season!
Wilderness Express prides itself on providing our guests an exceptional dining experience in our full service restaurant onboard. The kitchen and dining room are located on the main level of the rail cars and seat up to 36 guests at a time. Each rail car team has two kitchen staff who's responsibilities include cooking and plating food for both guests and crew, busing tables, washing and sanitizing all dishes/silverware, assisting with delivery of food and drink to tables/seats, and completing additional duties as needed! Did we also mention that this all takes place while moving on a train! This position is demanding especially during our meal "rushes" which can have up to 80 guests who need to be served in a timely manner, however we encourage our kitchen staff to visit the dome or dining room during their downtime and take in the amazing landscape we travel through as often as possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Able to provide first class service during breakfast, lunch, and dinner for up to 240 guests throughout a 14 hour shift.
- Check inventory and supply levels according to manifested guest count.
- Knowledgeable and familiar with all food and beverage menu items including modifications, substitutions, and potential allergens.
- Consistently execute full dining menu items according to specifications provided.
- Capable of lifting and balancing full serving trays.
- Wash all dishware and cooking utensils after meal service.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary kitchen environment throughout the day, while also completing weekly side work and end of the day cleaning assignments.
- Compliant with health and safety regulations involving food handling, temperature guidelines, labeling and storage.
- Promote teamwork and positive relationships with crew members, railroad personnel, and Tour Directors that accompany their guests onboard.
- Assist with additional duties as needed.
Candidates for the Kitchen Staff position must meet the following criteria in order to be considered as an applicant:
- 18 years of age prior to beginning of season, preferably 21 years of age
- Be a U.S. citizen or show proof of eligibility to work in the U.S
- Must be able to work a FULL season
- Be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Complete courses to obtain valid Anchorage Food Worker Card (assistance provided by Wilderness Express)
- Able to complete 14 hour shifts spending a majority of time on your feet.
- Previous line cook experience preferred.