Our Rail Operations Department consist of four private two-story dome rail cars known as the "Wilderness Express". We operate on the Denali Star Route attached to the Alaska Railroad locomotives and passenger cars traveling 350 miles between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the summer season (May-September). Our goal is to provide our guests with a first-class service while they travel on their own scenic rail adventure through The Last Frontier. We are looking for hard-working, positive, and reliable applicants to join our team for the 2017 summer season!
The Prep Cook position operates out of our commercial kitchen at our rail yard facility located in Anchorage. Their role is to prepare and portion food items which will be stocked on-board the Wilderness Express rail cars. The Prep Cook is also responsible for receiving and verifying delivery orders while rotating food items in compliance with safety standards and regulations. They will also coordinate and communicate with both the Food and Beverage Manager as well as the Rail Support Lead to maintain proper inventory levels of all bulk and prepared food items. Additional duties include preparing and packaging catered items such as box lunches and snack packs for other tour groups. This position works independently and requires an experienced cook who can prepare large volumes of menu items.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare food for the rail cars according to standardized recipes
- Portion menu items according to on-board usage
- Receive daily deliveries from vendors with strict observation of quantity, quality, and accuracy of order.
- Maintain inventory of prepped and non-prepped kitchen items
- Prepare, package, and organize all catered orders.
- Ensure the cleanliness and sanitation of the prep kitchen.
- Communicate and coordinate kitchen needs with Food and Beverage Manager as well as Rail Support Lead.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates for the Prep Cook position must meet the following criteria in order to be considered as an applicant:
- 21 years of age prior to beginning of season
- Be a U.S. citizen or show proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Be able to work a FULL season (Prep Cook has a slightly longer season than on-board crew)
- Be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Complete courses to obtain valid Anchorage Food Worker Card (assistance provided by Wilderness Express)
- Previous kitchen experience is required with emphasis on large volume preparation
- Thorough knowledge of food preparation techniques and safety regulations
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision.