Our Rail Operations Department consists of four private two-story dome rail cars known as the "Wilderness Express". We operate on the Denali Star Route attached to the Alaska Railroad locomotives and passenger cars traveling 350 miles between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the summer season (May-September). Our goal is to provide our guests with a first-class service while they travel on their own scenic rail adventure through The Last Frontier. We are looking for hard-working, positive, and reliable applicants to join our team for the 2017 Summer Season! This position is demanding, however it provides one of the best "office views" that you will ever have!
The Onboard Manager oversees the daily operations of all Wilderness Express crew members while en route to and from Anchorage. Managers have a variety of responsibilities which include maintaining the safety of all guests and employees, coordinating boarding procedures, completing routine checks of onboard mechanical features, communicating with Alaska Railroad personnel, and overall supporting all onboard operations. They must be knowledgeable and proficient in every onboard position in order to assist in the training process and may be required to fill in for an employee in the unlikely event that they cannot perform their duties. Managers also act as a liaison between rail staff and Wilderness Express Management to relay relevant information and to ensure that we maintain the highest quality of service onboard.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities of the Onboard Manager include but are not limited to:
- Supervise and motivate on-board rail staff
- Participate and assist in training employees
- Maintain safe environment for all guests and rail crew onboard
- Serve as a liaison between crew members and management team
- Resolve customer service, personnel, computer, and maintenance issues
- Coordinate and assist with boarding and disembarking of guests
- Monitor quality and sanitation of food service areas
- Oversee inventory and sales reports from individual employees
- Promote teamwork and positive relationships with crew members, railroad personnel, and Tour Directors that accompany their guests onboard
- Assist with additional duties as needed.
Onboard Manager must meet the following criteria in order to be considered as an applicant:
- 21 years of age prior to beginning of season
- Be a U.S. citizen or show proof of eligibility to work in the U.S
- Must be able to work a FULL season (Supervisors start before crew members)
- Be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Complete courses to obtain valid ServSafe Certification and Training for Alcohol Professionals Card (assistance provided by Wilderness Express)
- Provide proof of clean driving record to qualify and drive company vehicles (15 passenger vans)
- Able to complete 15 hour shifts spending a majority of time on your feet
- Previous train experience preferred
- Previous manager experience preferred.