Rail Support Lead
Our Rail Operations Department consists of four private two-story dome rail cars known as the "Wilderness Express". We operate on the Denali Star Route attached to the Alaska Railroad locomotives and passenger cars traveling 350 miles between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the summer season (May-September). Our goal is to provide our guests with a first-class service while they travel on their own scenic rail adventure through The Last Frontier. We are looking for hard-working, positive, and reliable applicants to join our team for the 2017 summer season!
The Wilderness Express operates during the summer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our Rail Support team works OVERNIGHT in Anchorage at the Wilderness Express rail yard and are responsible for overseeing the stocking of all food, beverage, and retail supplies. The Rail Support Lead is responsible for making sure the Support team completes all necessary tasks before our scheduled departure time while coordinating with Wilderness Express Managers for any special circumstances. This position is a full time position (5 nights a week/40 hours total) with a rotating schedule so applicants must be available to work both weeknights as well as weekends. The responsibilities of the Rail Support Lead are physically demanding and all applicants should be prepared to work in all weather conditions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities of the Rail Support Lead include but are not limited to:
- Knowledge of all support duties and ability to assist Shop Foreman with training and supervision of Rail Support Team
- Work with Rail Shop foreman to coordinate weekly schedules of Rail Support staff
- Responsible for making certain that all safety and sanitation standards are met
- Assess on-board inventory including all food, beverage, linens, retail, and cleaning supplies to maintain standard levels for operation
- Restock needed supplies on-board while rotating items for proper use
- Remove garbage, discarded glass items, and dirty linens from each car EVERY night
- Organize and participate in detail cleaning of Wilderness Express office and company vehicles when assigned
- Coordinate food preparation and portioning with Prep Cook.
- May be required to train or assist with Exterior cleaning of rail cars using brushes, hoses, and window squeegees (this includes operation of the manlift to access second floor dome windows).
The Rail Support Lead must meet the following criteria in order to be considered as an applicant:
- 21 years of age prior to beginning of season
- Be a U.S. citizen or show proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to work the NIGHT SHIFT throughout the FULL Season
- Be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Complete courses to obtain Anchorage Food Workers Card (assistance provided by Wilderness Express)
- Provide proof of clean driving record to qualify to drive company vehicles
- Previous Food and Beverage experience preferred
- Previous Supervisor experience preferred.