Our Rail Operations Department consist of four private two-story dome rail cars known as the "Wilderness Express". We operate on the Denali Star Route attached to the Alaska Railroad locomotives and passenger cars traveling 350 miles between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the summer season (May-September). Our goal is to provide our guests with a first-class service while they travel on their own scenic rail adventure through The Last Frontier. We are looking for hard-working, positive, and reliable applicants to join our team for the 2017 summer season!
Wilderness Express prides itself on providing our guests with exceptional food and beverage experience in our onboard full service bar and restaurant. The bar is located in the upper dome, and the dining room is located on the main level of the rail car and seats up to 36 guests at a time. Each rail car is staffed with one bartender-barista in the upper dome, and two dining servers in the dining room who work quickly and efficiently to serve all of the guests on board (sometimes up to 80 guests per meal). Waitstaff team members must be prepared to work quickly and efficiently while providing excellent customer service. Did we mention that all of this takes place while moving on a train! This position is demanding however it provides one of the best "office views" that you will ever have!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities of the Waitstaff include but are not limited to:
- Able to provide first class service during breakfast, lunch, and dinner for up to 240 guests throughout a 14 hour shift
- Check inventory and supply levels according to manifested guest count
- Capable of lifting a balancing full serving trays
- Knowledgeable and familiar with all food and beverage menu items including modifications, substitutions, and potential allergens.
- Greet guests at each depot and provide speech about dining room operations/menu over the microphone
- Organize and complete guests orders and accurately input into point of sale system
- Accurately close all guests checks after each meals service (*note: we are a cashless train)
- Maintain a clean and sanitary bar, dining room, and kitchen environment throughout the day while also completing weekly side work and end of the day cleaning assignments.
- Promote teamwork and positive relationships with crew members, railroad personnel, and Tour Directors that accompany their guests on board
- Assist with additional duties as needed
Candidates for the Waitstaff position must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- 21 years of age prior to beginning of season
- Be a U.S. citizen or show proof of eligibility to work in the U.S
- Must be able to work a FULL season
- Be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Complete courses to obtain valid Anchorage Food Workers Card and Training for Alcohol Professionals Card (assistance provided by Wilderness Express)
- Able to complete 14 hour shifts spending a majority of time on your feet
- Previous Bartending/Barista and serving experience preferred